The goal of Decade of Discovery is to prevent, optimally treat and ultimately cure Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
At the end of the decade, Minnesota will have witnessed and benefited from:
- A substantial decrease in the incidence of diabetes
- A substantial improvement in the quality of life in people with diabetes
- A substantial decrease in the burden and rate of complications
- A substantial reduction in the disparities of care and outcomes across gender, race, geography, and socioeconomic status
- A substantial decrease in the treatment burden to patients and caregivers
- A substantial improvement in the patient care experience
When the goal is successfully reached, Minnesota will have better health outcomes, reduced health care costs and enhanced economic opportunity in the form of jobs and commercialization.
The science and research element of Decade of Discovery will focus on discovery, translation and delivery within two core areas:
- Prevention and Care Delivery – focused on the public health research necessary to improve the implementation of optimal prevention and care strategies across the state
- Discovery and Translation for Treatment/Cure – focused on developing new ways to manage and treat diabetes while exploring new approaches to replace what does not work in the body
The following strategies will guide Decade of Discovery to reach the goal:
- Discovery will transform how we prevent, treat and ultimately cure diabetes
- Pursuing prevention approaches that emphasize healthy living from cradle to grave
- Advancing a patient-centered approach focused on the individual’s needs around schedule of visits, tests, treatments, and intensity of those treatments
- Improving care delivery according to commonly accepted protocols and consistent measures of health care experience, quality of life and functionality
- Promoting transparency and accountability to advance the goals in a collaborative manner
- Creating a safe environment in which participating organizations can commit to sharing data, participating in experiments and implementing best practices
- How did our @DecadeDiscovery team fare in the #TourDeCure last weekend? Find out here! http://t.co/h5w6aHUMUY
Connect With Decade
Sign up to show your support for Decade of Discovery and its goal to conquer diabetes.
We need your help spreading the word about Decade of Discovery and its goal to conquer Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
Tell us how diabetes has impacted you. What would it mean to you if we could conquer diabetes in the next 10 years?
Did You Know?
Every 30 minutes in Minnesota, a doctor is telling someone for the first time that they have diabetes. Learn More
323,927 Minnesotans Diagnosed